Vehicle Owner

Government fleets and military personnel vehicles in the St. Louis area must have an emissions test.

You need a test if your vehicle is:

  1. Gas-powered vehicles 1996 and newer or diesel powered vehicles 1997 and newer.
  2. 8,500 pounds or less.
  3. Registered in the following areas:
    • St. Louis City
    • St. Louis County
    • St. Charles County
    • Jefferson County

When do I get a test?

  • The Department of Revenue sends vehicle registration in the mail 60 days before license plate expiration:
    • Odd vehicle model years test in odd years.
    • Even vehicle model years test in even year.
  • Any vehicle sale or title transfer.
Find a GVIP Station Near You

How long is the emissions test valid for registration?

60 days (or 120 for a car dealer).

Special Considerations

Click here for form and additional information.

Available when a vehicle is:

  • Two years old with less than 40,000 miles.

  • Four years or older and driven less than 12,000 miles in past two years. Owner must have owned vehicle for two years and must be tested on-cycle (even model year vehicles test in even years, odd model year vehicles test in odd years). Give approved proof of odometer readings to department.

Switched engine vehicles must have an emissions test even though the original manufacturer's certified engine configuration has been removed and replaced with another engine. The vehicle's readiness monitors must be set in order to test. There is no waiver for the cost of fixing and improperly installed or incorrect application engine. It must meet the original manufacturer's criteria or owner is responsible for cost of returning it to the original manufacturer's criteria.

These vehicles are also subject to emissions testing:

Fuel Flex vehicles that burn:

  • Ethanol (E-10 or E-85)

  • Methanol (M-10 or M-85)

  • Biodiesel (B-5, B-20 and B-100)

Dual Fuel vehicles with tanks of:

  • Propane

  • Liquefied natural gas

  • Compressed natural gas

  • Gasoline or diesel fuel tanks

Hybrid electric vehicles with gasoline or diesel engines

Gray Market Vehicles   Click Here

Gray market vehicles were sold in another country and imported into the U.S.

If a vehicle is gasoline-powered and has a 8,500 pounds or less gross vehicle weight rating and is going to be licensed by the Department of Revenue Motor Vehicle Bureau, it needs an emissions test. The weight rating is usually found on a label on the inside of the driver's door.

It is a violation of federal law to import a vehicle into the U.S. that does not meet the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency emissions standards. Therefore, gray market vehicles are tested using the same emissions standards as a vehicle sold in the U.S.

For more information about imported vehicle, visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Importing Vehicles and Engines into the United States webpage.

For a list of Canadian vehicles considered by EPA to conform with U.S. emissions requirements, visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Importing Canadian Vehicles webpage.

What if I don't test?

Registration will be denied, you will not get new stickers and you won't be able to legally drive your vehicle.

Vehicles that don't need emissions testing

Even if you are exempt from emissions inspections you must have a safety inspection. Safety inspections are required every two years (regardless of calendar or model years) except for the vehicle's first 10 model years or 150,000 miles.

Please call 314-416-2115 for any questions about emissions exemptions.

See Waiver Applications and Exemption Requests for conditionally waived vehicles.

  • New (unused) vehicles within first model year that has an odometer reading of fewer than 6,000 at the time of original sale by a vehicle manufacturer or licensed motor vehicle dealer to the first user;

  • Plug-In Hybrid Electric and Electric Vehicles;

  • Motorcycles and motortricycles;

  • School buses;

  • Tactical military vehicles; and

  • Historic Vehicles registered per section 301.131 RSMo;

    • According to state statutes, any motor vehicle more than 25 years old that is owned only as a collector's item and is used or intended to be used for exhibition and education purposed can be registered as an historic vehicle. When historic plates are first registered, a vehicles is not necessary.

  • Specially Constructed and Kit Vehicles

Find a license office near you

Missouri Department of Revenue's Motor Vehicle License Contract Offices

Additional information

Gateway Vehicle Inspection Program's Frequently Asked Questions